“Eating crappy food isn’t a reward — it’s a punishment.”
― Drew Carey
To me, Mirror is the best diagnostic tool to look into yourself.
I heard saying many people during my clinical practice like I am so fat. My life has changed since I gained weight. I am stressed because I am not losing weight or my relationship is in trouble because of weight gain and so on…
Weight gain is one of the major health concerns around the globe and I believe it should be. Whenever you see a doctor or any health specialist they might ask you to reduce weight if you are overweight. In the modern world, Obesity is not a serious health concern for you but one among greatest challenges to health practitioners as well. If not acted on time, it can lead to permanent Physical, Mental & Emotional health issues.
Look at the statics:
“In 2011-12, 62.8% of Australians aged 18 years and over were overweight or obese, comprised of 35.3% overweight and 27.5% obese.”
WHO (World Health Organisation) states that More than one-third (35.7 percent) of adults are considered to be obese. More than 1 in 20 (6.3 percent) have extreme obesity. Almost 3 in 4 men (74 percent) are considered to be overweight or obese. The prevalence of obesity is similar for both men and women (about 36 percent).
Life Style disorders are always the burning issues in humans since ancient time.Being an Ayurvedic Practitioner (Indian Ancient Medicine AYURVEDA), we focus on the root of the problem and treat holistically with Herbs, Diet-Lifestyle adjustments, and Detox Panchakarma Therapies.
In simple words to me, Obesity is considered from the human Sedentary lifestyle and Nutritional values/Diet, where the body found hard to metabolize the ingested nutrition. Obesity is over accumulation of the fat under the skin and certain organs. It is very easy to diagnose as the bulge of fat can be seen clearly on the body.
To know exact you can refer BMI (Body mass index) formula as weight is not always marked with obesity.
THE English formula to calculate BMI is
|BMI =|| Weight in Pounds
(Height in inches) x (Height in inches)
|Between 18.5 and 24.9||Normal weight|
|Between 25.0 and 29.9||Overweight|
|Between 30.0 and 39.9||Obese|
|Above 40||Morbidly obese|
Obesity consider as one of eight (Nindniya prakrutis) undesirable constitution of the body.
As per classics, the Kapha body type (water & Earth) individuals are more likely to gain weight easily in comparison with Pitta (fire) and Vata (Air & Space) dominant body types. Accumulation of Kapha leads due to excessively nourished fat and malnourished other tissues end up with poor-disturbed-weak metabolic functions.
The disturbed weak metabolism is beautifully explained in Ayurveda under the concept of low fire (Agni) of digestion. The poor metabolic functions convert food into undigested toxic substance named AMA.
Ama is the product of weak and inefficient metabolism that blocks the channels of circulation. The clogging in circulatory channels leads to over 70% of health concerns like Obesity, Diabetes, High Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure, Fatty Liver, Stress, Fatigue, Myalgia, Arthritis, Low backache, Allergies, Indigestion, Malabsorption, Low Immunity, Low Iron, Cancer etc.
Ayurveda always stresses on the cleansing/ detoxification/ Panchakarma of the body on a seasonal basis to flush the Ama (metabolic residue) out of the body and boost the metabolic functions to achieve optimal health.
Have a look here:
The healthy Agni is the key to health and weak Agni is the root of diseases.
The Basic rules to reduce weight and prevent disease are
1) The first treatment to treat obesity is “Don’t accept your obesity.” If you tried and failed that doesn’t mean you cannot succeed. Develop a positive and determined attitude and help yourself.
2) Start your day with sipping of two glasses of warm water.
3) Be active and start with physical workout like play any sport, cycling, swimming, running etc. if fit to do so. Don’t be lazy to go to playground.
4) Avoid all Junk fried food, chips, frozen-cold-soft drinks, Alcohol, dairy products, tinned- canned food, ready to eat food, animal proteins, high sugar and high salt intake.
5) Use plant based food as Plant proteins are easy to digest. Proteins should be taken on moderate amount not more than 14 to 16 percent of daily food intake.
6) Eat balanced food rather than starving yourself. Ask experts for Diet Schedule as per your routine and body type. In general, avoid Carbs, starchy fatty food and eat more grains, salads and cooked food.
7) Add spices like Cumin, coriander, curry leaves, liquorice, turmeric, mint, black pepper, cinnamon, garlic, ginger etc. in your diet. They are very helpful to boost up the metabolism.
8) Improve your water intake and try to have warm liquids in sips instead of drinking cold water and icy drinks from fridge.
9) Try to spend less time with Mobiles, Laptops at night. Early to bed, early to rise is the key to lose weight. Avoid Day sleep.
10) Introduce Yoga, Pranayama, Meditation in your schedule as they improve your willpower, positivity and reduce stress. They also very effective in weight loss. You can start with Anuloma- viloma (Breathing Exercises), Kapalabhati Pranayama and Surya Namaskara (Sun Salutes).
11) Have food in portions and avoid food which your body generally starves. Taking frequent healthy food, small bites and chew longer is another formula to control the appetite.
12) Read positive books, articles to stay motivated or see experts for more guidelines.
Management of Obesity at Nature Care Ayurveda:-
We always recommended people to see Ayurvedic experts to get the tailored plan. Ayurvedic herbs helps to manage obesity like Shilajit, Kanchannar Guggulu, Medohara Guggulu, Kutki, Punarnavadi Guggulu, Triphala Guggulu, Kumari, Garcinia Cambogia etc. after recommendation.
Triphala Guggulu: It is a well balanced priceless Ayurvedic preparation in which amalgamation of three fruit herbs (Haritaki- Terminalia chebula, Bhibhitaki– TerminaliaBellirica), Amalaki- Emblica officinalis) mixed with guggulu a plant resin. This unique combination of herbs balance all three Doshas, clear toxins, improve metabolic functions and helps to reduce body weight.
Medohara Guggulu: A very popular herbal preparation stimulates fat metabolism and helps to burn subcutaneous deposits. It improves immune functions and often recommended in high cholesterol and other metabolic conditions.
Shilajit: It is also considered as very important herb for weight loss due to its scrapping (Lekhniya) qualities. Beside of Fat burner it also restores Vitality, youthfulness and a great aphrodisia.
The Therapies like Udavartna (Exfoliating Dry Scrub), Khizi (Herbal Pouch dry Massage), Panchakarma (Purification therapy x 3,5,7,15 days), Rukha Sweda in a tailored plan are very benefical to get youself back from obesity.
The special Dry therapies and Enema therapies encourages weight loss, tones the skin, remove cellulite, loosens subcutaneous fat molecules and remove Kapha-Ama toxins from the body.
“All herbs and treatment are recommended after a consult to your Ayurvedic Expert”
Please look into our website, call us, leave a message or come in and see us atNature Care Ayurveda for more info and tailored plan.
Dr Vishal Sharma